Monday, December 10, 2007

sports column #4

It is the best time of year in sports, baseball is in the home stretch, football is right around the corner and basketball is not far off.

I hate the New York Yankees. Some people have accused me of hating the City of New York, as Frank Sinatra sings, “I love New York and It’s the city that never sleeps” If I had a day to just sit and relax at one of the outdoor cafés in New York, I would truly enjoy it. The reason I hate the Yankees is not just that they have 26 World Series championships, more than half than the next team, the St. Louis Cardinals with 10 championships. It is because they flaunt their championships excessively. Just because you are the best team money can buy year after year does not mean you have to shove it in every ones face.

What a story Rick Alickel is. Rick was a pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals. After arm trouble in 2001 he had Tommy John sugery in 2003, he decided to become an outfielder.
Ankiel made his return to the big leagues on Aug. 9 against the Padres. In this game he hit a home run, what a way to come back!! Hollywood could not write a better story.

I do not understand preseason football. Four games are to many, players get hurt and in the first two games the starters don’t even play. Training camp is over hyped as well. I know hope rings eternal, but come on and play the games that count already.

Now that Barry Bonds has broke the all time home run record, I have been ask to give my opinion to if we should embrace him. No, he doesn’t embrace us why should we embrace him? Also the only baseball player from the old school that he has ever embraced is his godfather Willie Mays.

This week’s spotlight shines on my good friend and fellow Special Olympics athlete Harold Rohloff. Harold competes in Floor Hockey, soccer and for the first time this year Golf. He has worked at Stop and Shop in Putnam CT for 10 years. He also works at the Cinnamon Tree Bakery and assists with gym classes at Woodstock Elementary School. He likes to travel and recently joined a group for a twelve-day cruise to the Panama Canal.

Harold says,” Special Olympics Connecticut gives me a chance to get some physical activity and to have some fun with my friends. I played hockey this winter for the first time and learned the rules and moves of hockey. We have many fund-raisers for Special Olympics Connecticut and I enjoy being part of those activities. I enjoy the State Games where I see people I have not seen for a long time and also meet new people. I have been participating in Special Olympics since 1976.”

That’s my take: I would like to hear yours

Jamie Lazaroff

No comments: